SASB Forms Investor Advisory Group to Improve ESG Disclosure
Fourteen leading asset owners and asset managers support improving the quality and comparability of sustainability disclosure to investors
SAN FRANCISCO – In light of increasing acknowledgement by investors that environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors can impact the ability of companies to manage risk and deliver financial performance over the long-term, the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) today announced the founding members of its Investor Advisory Group (IAG). Comprised of leading asset owners and asset managers, the group is committed to improving the quality and comparability of sustainability-related disclosure to investors, thereby enabling investors to develop a more comprehensive view of company performance.
"It is critical for investors to have standardized, comparable information on material ESG factors so we can make better decisions about our investments into the future," says Christopher Ailman, Chief Investment Officer of CalSTRS and Chair of SASB's IAG. "SASB's IAG is encouraging companies to disclose material ESG information and to participate in SASB's standards-setting process."
Founding members of SASB's IAG are:
- BlackRock Michelle Edkins, Managing Director & Global Head of Investment Stewardship
- Breckinridge Capital Advisors Peter Coffin, Founder & President
- CalPERS Ted Eliopoulos, Chief Investment Officer
- CalSTRS Christopher Ailman, Chief Investment Officer (Chair)
- Calvert Investments John Streur, President & CEO
- Goldman Sachs Asset Management Hugh Lawson, Managing Director, Global Head of Institutional Client Strategy
- New York City Retirement Systems Scott Evans, Deputy Comptroller-Asset Management & Chief Investment Officer
- Nordea Asset Management Eivind Lorgen, CEO, Nordea Investment Management, North America
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Barbara Zvan, Senior Vice-President Strategy & Risk and Chief Investment Risk Officer
- Oregon State Treasury | Investment Division John Skjervem, Chief Investment Officer, Oregon Treasury Investment Division
- State Street Global Advisors Lynn Blake, Executive Vice President & Chief Investment Officer, Global Head of Beta Solutions
- TIAA Global Asset Management Tom Franks, Chief Investment Officer, Global Equities
- Wells Fargo Asset Management Kirk Hartman, President, President and Chief Investment Officer, Wells Capital Management
- Wespath Investment Management David Zellner, Chief Investment Officer
"Investors can play an important role in enhancing disclosure effectiveness, by expecting companies to disclose performance on material ESG factors and by participating in development of disclosure standards," says Janine Guillot, SASB's Director of Capital Markets Policy & Outreach. "IAG members believe that SASB's approach—which is industry-specific and materiality-focused—will help provide investors with relevant and decision-useful information."
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board™ (SASB)™ is an independent 501(c)3 organization that issues industry-specific standards for use in disclosing material sustainability information in filings to the Securities and Exchange Commission. Michael R. Bloomberg, founder of Bloomberg LP, and Mary Schapiro, former SEC chairman, serve as Chair and Vice Chair of SASB's Board of Directors, and Dr. Jean Rogers serves as Founder and CEO. With significant input from corporations and investors, SASB has issued provisional sustainability accounting standards for 79 industries in 10 sectors, and is now undertaking a period of deep consultation to gather input before the standards are codified. For more information about SASB, visit www.sasb.org, or follow us on YouTube, Twitter or LinkedIn.
Director of Communications
+1 415 830-9220 ext. 106